Korean Foods for English Teachers
Rice is the staple dish for Korean meals. Rice is taken by the people of South Korea either in the plain form or with other grains. Rice is accompanied by a variety of side dishes which vary from one region to another. The preference of side dishes also varies with the variation of seasons in South Korea. Kimchi is the next popular local Korean dish. This is a spicy vegetable preparation made out of turnips, cabbage, celery and seasoned with onions, red pepper, salt, ginger, garlic and shellfish. Soup forms a vital part of any South Korean meal. The other common South Korean dishes are meat preparations, herbs and roots, poultry products and lost of vegetables. They mostly use spoon and chopsticks for eating. The Koreans are so fond of rice and soup that they have their own bowls for these two dishes. Other dishes are kept at the center of the table for all.
Koreans usually prefer hot and spicy food and so, most of the preparations come up with red pepper seasonings. Another favorite dish is bulgogi. It is the roasted preparation of the strips of beef after it is marinated in the mixture of sesame seeds, green onions and garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and other seasonings.
You will also find European food in South Korea. Best restaurants are in Seoul to serve the numerous westerners who come as ESL teacher for the schools of the country. So, after getting a TESOL certification from American TESOL Institute, you will surely love your teaching experience in South Korea and the food which is always well cooked and tasty. Even if you are not comfortable with South Korean dishes, it will not be a problem. Food centers are there for you which are well known for their Italian, Continental, European and other kinds of preparations. You will always enjoy the Korean cuisines over there.
Some of the common food items in Korea and their costs:
• Fried chicken: 9,286 won
• Hamburger: 2,257 won
• Steak in the best restaurants: more than 30,000 won
• Ramyeon Instant Noodles 120g: 401 won
• Cookie/ Orion Choco Pies 1 box: 1,555 won
• Sliced pork 200g: 5714 won
• Cheese noodles in black sauce: 3,000 won
• Rice rolled and seaweed/ Gimbap: 1,843 won
• Ice cream: 571 won
• Coca cola of 350 ml can: 421 won
• Milk 1000ml: 1,348 won
• Sugar free juice: 2,010 won
• Mineral water 500 ml bottle: 358 won
• Soju/ the Korean white distilled liquor 1 bottle: 819 won
• Instant coffee: 6,076 won
• Cocktail in bar: more than 7,000 won
• Beer 355ml: 1,228 won
• Beer in bar: more than 4,000 won